Monday, September 21, 2009

Chatting with Bill

Today, I had a productive discussion with Bill Morrow, currently the president of Master’s College and Seminary. Let me explain a bit of my experience leading up to our encounter.


The campus of Master’s is presently at the site of Willowdale Pentecostal Church, which is only 12 kilometers east of Canada’s third most populous university, York University ( 54,000 students – after only UofT and UBC).

At the end of August I went for a guided tour of York, and then took my own private tour of the campus, including the Student Centre where I got an idea of the Christian presence on campus. It became clear to me that all of the groups combined were only scratching the surface. This included an obviously aggressive group rooted in the SDA movement that, while priding themselves on being interdenominational, were clearly teaching some of the more schismatic and controversial elements of their dogma ( you know.. Sunday worship is the mark of the Beast.. the other denominations are not only in error but apostate.. you get the picture). They stated by way of promotion that, amongst other named denominations, Pentecostal students were amongst their numbers. The reason I am spending some time on this topic is this: While they come across a little bit scary ( you would have to see their posters to know what I am talking about ) they are doing a lot of things right. They are making the most of their opportunities.

Personally, I think that there needs to be a compelling alternative that frees students from the strictures of legalism and models the power of the Holy Spirit along with scriptural and intellectual integrity. If students are looking for a dynamic  model of ministry, they shouldn't have to wander into dangerous territory.

It is my belief that we should have a seat at the table. Our voice needs to be heard and considered. It struck me that we ( I?) should be applying for chaplaincy status, along with thinking creatively about how to make a quality impact on this influential university. One of the things that came to mind was the proximity of Master’s to the York campus. Wouldn’t be great if we could do at least something to begin to get our toe in the door? Further, wouldn’t it be great if Master’s students began to see this as part of the mission field right at their front door?

I found Bill to be more than supportive. Having led this entire Fellowship for over a decade, he was intimately familiar with both the promise and challenge of university ministry. Further, he himself was a graduate of Concordia University and is very much aware of what has been happening across the country. He heard my three-fold request. First, I wanted an opportunity to speak to the student body about the vision for the campus. Secondly, I asked for an opportunity to teach an appropriate class on the nuts and bolts of starting up campus ministry. Finally, I requested the opportunity to see if Missions Canada could partner with Master’s regarding doing at least something at York University.

He has to put the request through the various channels and levels of decision making. It has to respect the current situation and sensitivities of where they are at as a school. So, we will see what comes out of it. Personally, I am encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment