Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 4 Summit Pacific College

Wednesday was a day committed to the Summit Pacific College. I taught a two hour course in the morning on ‘evangelism in a Canadian campus context”.

While I focused on the campus, it had a much wider application. I talked about ministry to postmoderns that is evidenced by humility, service and curiosity rather than arrogance, headhunting and a ‘know it all’ attitude. I know it sounds like I am caricaturing, but much of the evangelism of a previous generation was seen as "a crusade". The language and images that surrounded that approach to evangelism have not done well with the sensitivities of this emerging generation.

In fact, UCM has wisely taken the attitude, from the very beginning, that we would be defined by what we are for, rather than what we are against.

Further, effective witness is not as much about technique and information as it is about knowing the One we are talking about. He calls us to form redemptive communities that bear witness to His reality - where we have the opportunity to model service and compassion in a way that makes His claims comprenensible. For me it is sort of like hearing Mozart played well by a good orchestra. Suddenly, his music makes sense to me. I don't need to know a lot about music in order to be moved by it.


Immediately following class, it was time for chapel where I gave the morning address. Based on the account of Peter stepping out of the boat, I poured out my own story, how it connected with the biblical account and where it applies to the lives of the students. There was a very strong response towards the altars where students spent time doing business with God.

 

In the evening, George spoke from Isaiah 6 about our response to God’s call. Although he, Jaz and I prepared our messages independently, our messages overlapped in a way where it was easy to see how God had His hand in it. Again, there was a strong response at the altar where young people offered their lives to God’s service, wherever that might lead.


No comments:

Post a Comment