Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Winnipeg to Thunder Bay...

The next day, I left first things to begin my trek towards Thunder Bay

A few notes. First, I figured I would get on the highway and find a roadside gas station on the way. No such doing. I guess the various towns figure it  competes with their commerce but they don’t do a particulary good job of luring people off the road. And when I approached the sign pointing towards Steinbech, Manitoba I could see a row of trees in the distance to the east. I didn’t fully realize the prairies would come to an abrupt end. There was no ‘transition’ or ‘parkland’ like there is if you drive north in Saskatchewan. One moment you are in prairie and the next minute you are in endless forest. 
Dividing Line..


Within an hour or so, the forest became full on Canadian Shield – Precambrian rock and gnarly, scrubby trees. I bypassed Kenora in the belief that there simply must be a roadside gas station… anyway, I barely made it to beautiful downtown Dryden, Ontario deep in the heart of the shield. That gave me enough gas to get the rest of the way to Thunder Bay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment