Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Saskatoon: my boyhood home

I enjoyed the opportunity to visit the city of my boyhood, Saskatoon. After a creative series of flights to get there, I joined in with the spring district conference as a representative of the national office. Led by outgoing superintendent Dwight Schapansky ( who is a good guy even if he did go to the wrong high school) , it was like a family reunion, and I was privileged to see the election of John Drisner as the new District Superintendent.



GS David Wells leads prayer for the service of ordination.


I was there with a double purpose, because I also wanted to spend time at the University of Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan is the only district on our Fellowship that does not have a CMC campus ministry and I wanted to check out the university. In fact, when I was going to high school at Evan Hardy Collegiate, I worked part-time in the foodservices at the U of S, and was a frequent user of their weight room and football fields.

49 Lindsay Drive    My childhood home


The U of S is a beautiful, full sized university, nestled on the banks of the South Saskatchewan and a few blocks away from my grandparents' former home. It is , in and of itself, a small city. Indeed, if it were to be airlifted out of Saskatoon and dropped in the middle of the prairie, it would form Saskatchewan’s fifth largest city. Concurrent with the province’s economic rise, in no small part localized in Saskatoon, it is experiencing a massive building boom. It is bustling.


U of S Classroom


Further, it has a vibrant campus culture. Strolling through the Student Centre, it is clear that the Student Union USSU has a strong presence and an aggressive take on what could be described as a progressive cultural agenda. It is clear that the existing chaplaincy and church networks connected to the campus share this perspective. It is also clear that these networks are shells of what they once were and there is a need for both a revitalization and fresh input. It was a sad moment for me to visit the beautiful Anglican Chapel on the edge of campus, with soaring ceilings and gorgeous stained glass to find that it is now the Grad Student’s lounge. It is like seeing a Lamborghini used as a delivery vehicle.


Across the street.  It proves my point.
There are presently several solid Christian groups on campus. C4C and InterVarsity. There is also the CCO Catholic Campus Outreach which is on the evangelical wing of the Catholic Church.    While I always celebrate the good work these organizations do for Christ, it is also clear to me that there is a massive void and opportunity here at the U of S if we are going to even begin to reach this institution for Christ. I really believe that we can make a difference. With our C5 approach, we can serve the institution and reach men and women. To borrow the language of our Chai Alpha friends, it is about reaching, reconciling and transforming.

I would pray that the churches of this fine district would not be content with the status quo. The challenge is too big. The stakes are too high. There is an incredible opportunity here, if we have the eyes to see and the ears to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment